Tuesday 31 August 2010

Smelling Mistakes

Mod man: Could all forum members please be aware of the new forum rules in regards to members arguing with themselfs.

Mod man: Don't you mean themselves?

Mod man: I do believe that "themselves" is the American pronunciation, whereas, this forum is UK based. I'm going to let your post stand as an example of how someone without Google can get it so wrong.

Mod man: I AM in the UK, I live in Budleigh Salterton. My point was about English grammar. American pronunciation is irrelevant. Pronunciation refers to the way a word or a language is spoken, whereas, grammar is the set of structural rules that govern the composition of sentences, phrases, and words in any given natural language.

Mod man: Yes, thankyou - I can get Wikipedia. I was already aware of the finer details of both pronunciation and grammar. We do have strict forum rules about pedantry, so I suggest that you make a full and unreserved apology for your error and we'll say no more about it. Otherwise, I'll have no option but to delete the thread and ban you.

Mod man: But YOU started the thread and it was YOUR error! What kind of forum is this?!

Mod man: Right! That's it! User name banned! AHA! Read it and weep, baby! God damn, that felt good.

Mod man: Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Never kick a man too hard while he's down.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.